Here are a few safety tips for taking prescription medications:
- Learn about your medication and how to take it. Learn about its side effects and how it works with other medication you’re taking. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medication is causing a side effect.
- Read the information that comes with your medication. It lists the drug's potential side effects and other safety notices.
- Always tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to any medications.
- Always carry a list of all prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medication you take, including supplements, such as vitamins or herbal extracts. Show this list to all your healthcare providers.
- Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before using any OTC, herbal, or homeopathic (alternative) products. Some of these products can cause serious health problems if taken with other medication.
- Dispose of all medication that’s expired or that’s more than 1 year old, according to your local environmental guidelines.
- If you have more questions, you can contact an Express Scripts pharmacist.
- Never share your medication with other people. Taking another person's medication can lead to serious health problems.