Getting Your Medication
I had to leave my normal delivery location. How can I get my medication delivered to me?
Express Scripts often pauses shipments into areas where natural disasters make delivery difficult or impossible. But, you can still get your medication delivered to where you are.
- Check your order status. If you can, update your order’s shipping address to your temporary location.
- If you can’t update your shipping address or don’t know where you’ll be, go to the Express Scripts website and look for a message about managing your medication during the disaster.
- If you can’t make the changes or get the help you need through our app or on this website, call (877)363-1303.
Prepare for a natural disaster:
- Update your email address and your mobile phone number. If we need to contact you with urgent information about your medication, we’ll try to reach you by phone.
- Refill any medications in low supply, if your plan allows it.
- Make a list of all the medications you take and keep the list with you.
- Download the Express Scripts® mobile app for alerts about the natural disaster. If you have to leave your local area, you can use our website or mobile app to print your medication history or to find a nearby pharmacy.
How do you ship my medication and where can you ship it?
We ship your medication in a tamper-proof, weather-resistant package. If your medication is sensitive to extreme hot or cold weather, we ship it in a temperature-controlled package.
Standard shipping is part of your plan's benefit at no extra cost to you. You can get next-day or two-day shipping for an extra fee.
We ship most medication through the U.S. Postal Service. We use United Parcel Service (UPS) to ship certain controlled substances.
We ship to:
- All 50 states
- PO boxes
- APO/FPO/DPO addresses*
- U.S. territories
*We can’t ship refrigerated medications to APO/FPO/DPO addresses
We do not ship orders to private foreign addresses.
How do I get specialty medication?
The Specialty Medication Care Management Program connects you with nurses, pharmacists and patient care advocates who specialize in your condition. Your maintenance medications are shipped safely to the location of your choice and refill reminders help to ensure you never miss a dose. All your medication and supplies are overseen by nurses and pharmacists who can address any side effects and specialty consultations are available at any point during your therapy.
To find out if you’re eligible, contact us at 877.363.1303. If you’re eligible, a Patient Care Advocate can help transfer your medication to Home Delivery.
Where can I see if I have prescriptions ready to refill or renew?
Log in to your account, and go to Refill Prescriptions under Prescriptions. If you don’t see the prescription you’re looking for, you can search for it by going to Find a prescription not listed below.
Why did my order arrive in more than one package?
If we ship your order in more than one package, we’ll tell you why on each invoice. Here are two reasons your order might come in more than one package:
- Your order might be coming from separate pharmacies. If one medication requires special handling (for example, temperature control), we might ship it from a different pharmacy. And, not all of our pharmacies dispense controlled substances or compound medications.
- If your order includes a prescription that has not yet reached its refill date, we’ll send the rest of your order without it. We’ll ship that prescription when it’s eligible for refill.
How can I get a prescription order form?
After you log in, go to Benefits and select Print Forms.
Or, call us toll-free at 1-877-363-1303. Choose to leave your name and address, and we’ll mail an order form to you.
Can I get my medication at a military treatment facility (MTF) instead of through delivery?
Yes. You can get your medication one of three ways: through Express Scripts Home Delivery, at a Military Treatment Facility (MTF), or at a local retail network pharmacy. If you get a long-term medication through delivery, you can still pick up short-term prescription medications at an MTF or a retail network pharmacy.
Not all MTFs provide pharmacy services. Check with your local MTF before you go to pick up your medication.
What information needs to be on my written prescription?
Your prescription should include your name and the other standard information provided by the doctor.
To help us fill your prescription safely and quickly, please add these details to the back of your prescription:
- Beneficiary's full name, including Sr. or Jr. if applicable
- Beneficiary's address
- Beneficiary's date of birth
- Beneficiary's uniformed services ID number
I have my medication delivered, can I still talk to a pharmacist at any time?
Yes. Your Express Scripts pharmacist is available 24 hours a day and can answer questions about your medication.
We also have licensed pharmacists with specialized knowledge about certain conditions. You can talk with a specialized pharmacist about:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Migraine headaches
- Women's health conditions
Does my prescription change if I get my medication delivered?
Yes, your prescription will change a little bit. Your written prescription must show that your medication will be delivered, and that you will receive up to a 90-day supply with each refill.
How do I know if I can get my medication delivered?
We deliver certain maintenance medications. To see if you can choose delivery for your medication, log in to your account and go to Prescriptions, then select Pharmacy Options. You’ll see any prescription medications you can have delivered, along with price comparisons for local network pharmacies and home delivery.
If I’ve been filling a long-term medication at a local pharmacy, can I get it delivered instead?
Yes. If your plan covers delivery, you can get certain maintenance medications through the TRICARE® Home Delivery Pharmacy Program. To set up delivery:
- Go to the Prescription menu and choose Pharmacy Options.
- Find the name of the medication you want to switch to delivery.
- Select the checkbox for a 3-month supply. If your plan offers an Extended Payment Program (EPP) to spread out your payments, you can choose this option.
- Select Continue and complete your order. We'll ask your doctor to update your prescription for you.
How do I set up my delivery order online?
To get your maintenance medication delivered, you’ll need to:
- Log in and go to the Prescriptions menu and select Pharmacy Options. You’ll see any maintenance medications you can get delivered.
- Compare the prices shown and choose the medication you want delivered.
- Follow the instructions to check out.
If you don't see your medication listed on the Pharmacy Options screen:
- Log in and go to the Prescriptions menu and select Refill Prescriptions.
- Select the link Find a prescription not listed below. Then you can:
- Browse your prescription history to find the name of your medication.
- Search for your medication by its prescription number (also called its Rx number)
How do I send you a new prescription to get my long-term medication delivered?
If you need a new prescription, ask your doctor to send it to us:
- By e-prescribe: Ask your doctor to send us your prescription electronically.
- By phone: Call Express Scripts toll-free at (877)882-3335
- By fax: Send the order form and your written prescription
- Toll-free within the U.S. at (877)895-1900
- Outside the U.S. at: (602)586-3911 (U.S.-licensed prescribers only)
If you already have a written prescription, log in to your account. Then go to Benefits and select Print Forms. Select the link Print a mail order form to find the Home Delivery Order Form. You can ask your doctor to submit this form to us, or you can print and complete the form, then mail the form and your prescription to the address listed on the form. Make sure your prescription is written for up to a 90-day supply and it shows that you want delivery.
How will I know when my next automatic refill is coming?
We will call you or email you before every automatic refill to tell you we’re getting ready to process your order. This will allow enough time for you to change the processing date or to cancel the prescription if you no longer need your medication. You can also manage your order in the free Express Scripts® mobile app.
How do I get a refill for medication I have delivered?
To get a refill for a medication, log in to your account. Then go to Prescriptions and select Refill Prescriptions. Any medication you can refill will be listed here. Click the Add to cart button for any medication you want to order.
You can order a refill after two-thirds of the timeframe for your prescription has passed. For example, you can refill a 90-day prescription after 60 days. The best time to order a refill is when you have a 21-day supply of your medication left. This helps make sure you receive your new supply of medication before your old one runs out.
How do I stop automatic refills?
You can stop automatic refills at any time.
- Log in to your account and go to Prescriptions .
- Choose Automatic Refills.
- Choose the Stop Automatic Refills tab beside the medications you want to remove from auto refills.
Call Express Scripts at (877)363-1303 for help stopping auto refills.
Where can I find payment and invoice details for a medication I purchased through delivery?
To find details on a delivery medication, log in to your account. Then, go to Prescriptions and select Order History. The Recent Order Status page shows:
- Invoice number
- Confirmation number
- Shipping details: the date you placed an order, the date it shipped, the method, and address
- Medication name and Rx number
- How much your plan paid
- How much you paid
How long will it take to get my medication delivered?
Our goal is to have your medications delivered to you 4 days after we receive your prescription. If this is our first time filling that prescription for you, it might take a bit longer.
Tips for quick refills and delivery:
- To avoid running out of your medication, have about a 14-day supply left when you order a refill.
- Ask your doctor to send us your prescription electronically, when possible.
- Order refills and renewals through our website or mobile app.
Notes about shipping:
- Orders that contain certain controlled substances are shipped via United Parcel Service (UPS). An adult must sign for the UPS delivery.
- Medications that require temperature control are sent with expedited shipping at no extra cost to you. Temperature-controlled medications are not available for APO/FPO/DPO addresses.
- Expedited shipping affects only the shipping time. It doesn’t decrease the time it takes us to process your order.
How do I enroll a medication in automatic refills?
To start automatic refills:
- Log in to your account. Then, go to the Prescriptions menu and choose Automatic Refills.
- Select the Manage Prescriptions tab. Find the medication you want to enroll.
- Choose Start Automatic Refills.
Or, call us at (877)363-1303 to speak with a Patient Care Advocate.
How do I get my medication during an emergency, like a tornado, hurricane, fire, or flood?
If a state of emergency has been declared where you live, we will help you get the medication you need.
If you need an emergency medication, we work with your health plan, employer, or plan sponsor to get it to you quickly. We might allow a refill before your next refill date, replace a lost or damaged medication, or give you access to another pharmacy network where you can temporarily use your benefits.
Download our mobile app for easy access to help information at the time of the emergency. You can also use our website or mobile app to find a nearby network pharmacy.
How will I know when my next auto refill is coming?
Express Scripts will call you or email you before every automatic refill to tell you we’re getting ready to start working on your order. This will allow enough time for you to change the date or to cancel the prescription if you no longer need your medication. And, the free Express Scripts mobile app® lets you track your order while it’s processed and shipped.
If you can’t find the answer to your question, please contact us.